We analyze the development trend of www.ato.gov.au in the Australia and provide the latest information of it.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Analysis on Worldwide Regional Web Search for “ato.gov.com”

As a government website, the role of the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is to manage and shape taxation, excise and superannuation systems that fund services for Australians, giving effect to social and economic policy. Through these systems the ATO is the Government's principal revenue management agency. The ATO collects income tax, Goods & Service Tax(GST) and other federal taxes for the government. This website receives high attention in Australia, but in other countries, people do not search this website. The reason is obvious.

In Australia, there are three cities search the website frequently. The city rank excludes the famous city Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne are the top 3 cities. On the list, we just can see these three cities search this website.

  Sydney was the capital of the New South Wales and it is the biggest city and harbor in Australia even in Oceania. It is also one of the most prosperous international cities all over the world. Sydney plays an important role in the whole Australia economy. So it needs to pay tax when they have some trades. The capital of Australia Canberra doesn't appear on the list, because Canberra is well known for its natural scenery, the economy is not as booming as Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Monday, June 10, 2013

www.ato.gov.au SuperSeeker

It is important to keep track of your super. If you've ever changed your name, address or job, you may have lost track of some of your super. Having several super accounts could mean that fees and charges are reducing your overall super investment.
There are a number of ways to keep track of and manage your super.

1. Use online services for a full view of your super

You can register for our online services and use SuperSeeker to:
  • check your current super accounts into which money has been paid in the last two financial years
  • find lost super - there are billions in lost super, see if some of it is yours
  • find ATO-held super - if the government, your super fund or your employer can't find an account to transfer your super to, we hold it on your behalf
  • transfer your super into the super account you want.
Registering online is an important security measure to protect the personal information displayed. It also helps to ensure that any transactions are made by you. To register, we need some personal information as well as information from some personal documents to know who you are.
Direction icon
Register for a secure login to access our online services and use SuperSeeker.
Already registered? Login to online services
For help with registering for online services and using SuperSeeker, refer to our videos.

2. Conduct a quick search online

You can find out if you have any lost or ATO-held super by doing a quick search.
  • You will need to provide:
  • your name
  • date of birth
  • tax file number.
To see your other super accounts and to transfer your lost super to another super account, you will need to access our online services.
3. Use our self-help phone service
You can find out if you have any lost or ATO-held super by using our self-help phone service, available 24 hours a day on 13 28 65 Fast Key Code then 2.
We will ask for your:
  • tax file number (TFN)
  • date of birth.
Make sure you have paper and a pen ready to write down the details of any lost or ATO-held super.
4. Contact a customer service representative
You can phone us and ask us to do a search for lost or ATO-held super for you. Phone us between 8.00 am and 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday, Australian Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Daylight-saving Time.
Direction icon
If you are in Australia, phone us on 13 10 20
If you are overseas, phone us on +61 2 6216 1111
5. By paper
Download Searching for lost super. Once you've printed and completed the form, return it to us and we will advise you if we find any lost or ATO-held super.

Frequently asked questions

Direction icon
For help with using our online services for individuals to keep track of your super, refer toFrequently asked questions.

More information

For more information about your super, refer to Guide to superannuation for individuals - overview.
For more information about the government's changes to super, refer to Introducing your super.
Last Modified: Monday, 3 June 2013

www.ato.gov.au E-tax essentials

E-tax 2013

E-tax is the ATO's free and secure downloadable software that helps you prepare and lodge your tax return online. It has built-in checks and calculators to help you ensure your return is as accurate as possible. Tax returns lodged using e-tax are usually processed within 12 business days.
E-tax provides you with the opportunity to pre-fill your tax return with information held by us and reported by other organisations. Pre-filling makes it easier for you to meet your tax obligations and claim your entitlements. For more information about this feature, see Pre-filling service - e-tax.
Direction icon
To see how easy it is to use e-tax, watch the short 'E-tax in 5 easy steps' video on our YouTube channel.
E-tax 2013 will be available for use from 1 July 2013.

E-tax 2012

E-tax 2012 is no longer available.
If you have not yet lodged your 2012 tax return and you have simple tax affairs, you may be eligible to use the short tax return phone lodgment service.
It's easy and we will usually process your tax return within 12 business days.
For more information about this service, refer to Lodge by phone or phone us on 13 28 61.
Alternatively, you can use one of our other lodgment options:

More information

To find out if you need to lodge or for more information about preparing your tax return, seeLodging your tax return.

www.ato.gov.au HECS-HELP benefit - Overview

The benefit provides the incentive for graduates in maths and science, nursing (including midwifery), early childhood education (ECE) and education to take up related occupations or work in specified locations. Explains who is eligible and how to apply.


The HECS-HELP benefit is designed to encourage graduates of some types of courses to take up employment in specified occupations. These course types are:
  • early childhood education (ECE) courses
  • maths and science courses
  • education courses
  • nursing (including midwifery) courses.
In the case of ECE teachers, location is also specified - rural and regional areas, Indigenous communities and areas of socio-economic disadvantage.
The benefit for ECE teachers was expanded from the 2011-12 income year (available from 1 July 2012). The expansion provides for:
  • an increase in the number of eligible postcode locations in rural and remote areas, including regional cities (this will allow more ECE teachers working in areas of high need to apply)
  • the removal of the requirement that teachers spend 50% of their time teaching.
This means qualified early childhood education teachers will be able to claim the HECS-HELP benefit as long as they spend some of their employed time providing:
  • education or childcare services to children who have yet to commence formal schooling and / or
  • pedagogical support to staff who teach those children.
Last Modified: Friday, 29 June 2012

www.ato.gov.au Guide to tax file numbers


A tax file number (TFN) is a unique nine-digit number we issue to individuals and organisations to help us administer tax and other Australian Government systems.
We only issue one TFN to you during your lifetime, even if you change your circumstances.
Attention icon
If you change your name or address, you should tell us so we can update your details.
If you already have a TFN but you don't know where it is, you may have documents that contain it, such as a notice of assessment or a payment summary from your employer. Alternatively, if you use a registered tax agent, they can tell you your TFN.
If you've never been issued with a TFN, you can apply for one. You'll receive your TFN no more than 28 days after we receive your completed application.
You can contact us by phone, mail or in person to change our records of your name and address, your contact details and to add or update your nominated representative.
There are a number of situations where you will be asked to provide your TFN, such as when you start work or change jobs, apply for income assistance or join a superannuation fund. You should keep it secure and only disclose it to certain individuals or organisations for tax-related purposes.
Most secondary school students are able to get a TFN through the secondary schools TFN program. This is an easier way to apply because you don't have to provide us with any documents to prove your identity - the school identifies you.

www.ato.gov.au Guide to activity statements


Businesses use activity statements to report and pay a number of tax obligations, including GST, pay as you go (PAYG) instalments, PAYG withholding and fringe benefits tax. Individuals who need to pay quarterly PAYG instalments also use Activity statements.
Activity statements are personalised to each business or individual to support reporting against identified obligations.
Businesses self-assess their own indirect taxes. For tax periods starting on or after 1 July 2012, we will take the information you submit on your activity statements (about what you owe or expect to be refunded) as your tax assessment under indirect tax laws. Your activity statement will be treated as your notice of assessment, issued on the day you lodge.
You can lodge and pay electronically, by mail or in person. You must lodge on time to avoid interest and penalties. If you can't lodge or pay by the due date, contact us as soon as possible. Usually, arrangements can be made to pay your tax debt over an extended period.
Direction icon
If you're a business, you can lodge your activity statements online or use a paper form. Lodging online is quicker and most quarterly lodgers get an extra two weeks to lodge (terms and conditions apply).
We'll issue your activity statement before the end of your reporting period, which is usually every three months or every month. If you've lost or haven't received your paper activity statement, you can obtain a copy by phoning us on 13 28 66.
Labels G1, G2, G3, G10, G11, G21, G22, G23, G24, 1A and 1B.
As a business you use an activity statement to report and pay the GST your business has collected and claim GST credits. Most businesses report and pay their GST quarterly and have a choice each year about how they do this.
Labels T1, T2, T3, T4, T7, T8, T9, T11, 5A and 5B.
You may receive an activity statement or an instalment notice to pay your PAYG income tax instalment. You can generally choose between two reporting options and you can vary your instalments in some circumstances.
Labels W1, W2, W3, W4, W5 and 4.
PAYG tax withheld is the amount you withhold from payments to employees, contractors and company directors. You may also need to withhold from payments to other businesses if they don't quote their Australian business number (ABN) to you.
Labels F1, F2, F3, F4, 6A and 6B.
FBT is separate from income tax. If you paid FBT of $3,000 or more in the previous year, you need to pay the tax quarterly by instalments with your activity statement.
Labels 1E and 1F.
LCT applies to cars with a GST-inclusive value exceeding the LCT threshold.
Labels 1C and 1D.
WET applies at 29% of the value of the wine at the last wholesale sale (before adding GST). It's generally paid by wine producers or wholesalers. If you report and pay GST using a pre-printed instalment amount (option 3 on the activity statement), don't complete the WET section of your activity statement. We have included your WET in this amount.
Labels 7C and 7D.
Fuel tax credits provide businesses with a credit for the fuel tax (excise or customs duty) included in the price of fuel used in business activities, machinery, plant equipment and heavy vehicles.
You may receive a quarterly GST or PAYG instalment notice (or both) instead of an activity statement. This will happen if you've chosen to use the instalment amounts advised by us for these obligations and have no other reporting obligations.

www.ato.gov.au Difficulty in paying your tax debt

What if you cannot pay your tax debt on time?

If you cannot pay your tax debt on time, contact us immediately on 13 11 42 to discuss your circumstances.
When you speak to us about payment of your outstanding tax debt or remission of general interest charge (GIC), we are committed to:
  • understanding your situation and individual circumstances
  • being fair and equitable in the application of the law, processes and policy
  • considering your case on its merits and assisting you to move on
  • assisting you where possible if you are attempting to engage with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and do the right thing.
In some circumstances, you may need to provide written details of your financial position, including a statement of your assets and liabilities and details of your income and expenditure.
We also need to understand what steps you have taken to obtain funds to pay your tax debt, as well as what you have done to make sure you meet future tax debts on time.
You may be given extra time to pay, depending on your individual circumstances.
If we give you extra time to pay, you are required by law to pay the GIC. The GIC is tax deductible in the income year in which it is incurred. The law provides the Commissioner with the opportunity to remit all or part of the GIC in certain circumstances. Further information about our remission policy is available in Law Administration Practice Statement PS LA 2011/12.

Difficulty in paying your tax debt (business clients)

 Increase text size Decrease text size
Attention icon
Help for small businesses experiencing short-term financial difficulties
We offer help to viable businesses with an annual turnover of less than $2 million that are having trouble meeting their tax payment obligations due to challenging business conditions or unexpected events such as natural disasters.

How do you know how much you have to pay?

Income tax
Your notice of assessment will tell you how much tax you have to pay, if anything, and when you must pay to avoid being charged interest for late payment.
Activity statement accounts and other tax types
Contact us on 13 11 42 to obtain your account balance.

When do you need to pay?

Refer to Key lodgment dates for businesses to determine when you need to pay your income tax.
If you are unsure, contact us on 13 28 66. GIC is imposed on any amount not paid by the due date. The GIC on any tax payable accrues from that date.
In the case of activity statement debts, the due date for payment will vary in accordance with the lodgment due date.

How do you pay?

The different methods of payment are set out in How to pay.
For more information on payment methods, phone the ATO Payments hotline on freecall1800 815 886 (8.00am to 6.00pm EST) or email Payment@ato.gov.au

What if the payment will cause you serious hardship?

Serious hardship is when you are unable to provide food, accommodation, clothing, medical treatment, education, or other necessities for yourself or your family, or other people for whom you are responsible.
You may be able to apply to the ATO for a release from payment of certain tax debts if you are:
  • an individual, sole trader or self-employed
  • the trustee of a deceased estate if payment of the debt would cause serious hardship for dependants of the deceased estate.
For more information, contact us on 13 11 42.
If your company, trust or partnership has a tax debt, contact us on 13 11 42 to discuss what other options are available.

More information

You can write to us at:
Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia, Northern Territory
Correspondence Management
PO Box 327
New South Wales, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory
Correspondence Management
PO Box 9102
  • Taxpayers' charter - what you need to know - for general information about your rights.
  • If you do not speak English well and need help from us, phone the Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50.
  • If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, phone us through the National Relay Service (NRS) on the numbers listed below
    • TTY users, phone 13 36 77 and ask for the ATO number you need
    • Speak and Listen (speech-to-speech relay) users, phone 1300 555 727 and ask for the ATO number you need
    • internet relay users, connect to the NRS on www.relayservice.com.au and ask for the ATO number you need.